Get Started! When it comes to the changes you can make to your home, the options are endless. If you plan on selling your home in the next few years and are looking to make a few home improvements, knowing the latest remodeling trends are a great place to start. These trends indicate what potential buyers are looking for and can help you prioritize your remodeling projects.
With a new year approaching, there are some new remodeling trends emerging. To help, here’s what remodeling trends will be hot in 2018.
Are you planning a new remodeling project in your home? contact SCS today, 785-840-4040
What’s Hot In 2018 Remodeling If you’re planning to sell your home this year, or just want to make some needed upgrades, 2018 is the year to do so. While kitchen and bathroom remodeling will always top the list of projects homeowners want to do first, it’s a good idea to keep an eye on what else is trending. These projects can really make your home stand out from the rest. Here are a few hot home remodeling trends in 2018:
- Accessibility Remodeling
- Master Bedroom Suites
- Mudroom Additions
- Eco-friendly Remodeling Materials
- Luxury Finished Basements
1. Accessibility AccommodationsIn the last few years, homeowners have had an increased focus on aging in place. Now more than ever, those looking to buy are looking for a universal design with accessibility accommodations. Specifically, these remodeling projects include widening hallways and doorways. Accessibility remodeling is not a cheap project, but can certainly benefit you and your family. The average cost of accessibility accommodation remodeling is $5,233, with most homeowners spending between $2,488 and $5,587.
2. The Master SuiteLuxury could also be a common theme to this year’s trends. Remodeling trends are pointing to the bedroom, with a luxury bathroom and closet attached to make a suite. No longer is a small master bath attached to the bedroom, but rather the best accommodations are reserved for this space. Increased storage will be hot in this area. This luxury upgrade is worth it, but it may also mean you have to remodel multiple rooms. The average cost of home remodeling is $34,477, with most homeowners spending $19,891 and $37,319.
3. Mudroom AdditionSome homeowners could use just a little more space and are finding value in a mudroom addition. This small room will allow for children to store their coats and dirty shoes before entering the home. It might also serve as additional storage space for outdoor wear and necessities.
While the average cost of an addition, such as a mudroom, or enclosed patio is $14,180, this price could change depending on the extra needs you have for your space. A mudroom that needs additional electrical or plumbing work could end up costing more.
4. Eco-Friendly RemodelingAs a trend that’s here to stay, eco-friendly remodeling is what homeowners and homebuyers are looking for. This means upgrading insulation, installing smart home automation features and choosing earth-friendly remodeling materials as you build.
To see what you can do in your home, read Eco-Friendly Home Remodeling Ideas.
5. Luxury BasementsWhile everyone desires a finished basement, current trends are pointing to really going the extra mile with your basement remodel. This means more than just waterproofing and laying down some flooring, but also building out your basement to include all the amenities the rest of your home has. A small kitchenette in the basement is a hot item to have as well as a full bathroom. Not to mention, a basement is a perfect place for a home theater. You’ll be the talk of the town with this style of finished basement.